Take this basic skills survival knowledge IQ test. The ideal survivalist should be able to score 90% or higher. The answer key is at the bottom, but try and answer the questions to the best of your knowledge first, you will only be cheating yourself otherwise.
1. To locate Polaris (North Star)
A. Look straight up
B. The two stars that form the handle of Ursa Major point directly to the North Star
C. The two stars that form the outer lip of Ursa Major point to the North Star
D. Find Orion’s belt and look west
E. It’s the brightest star in the sky!
2. The “open treatment” method is the safest way to manage wounds in survival situations.
3. You may use the moon to find the direction of North under certain circumstances. These are:
A. If the moon is half full it always points north
B. If the moon rises before the sun sets, the side which is illuminated will be the west
C. If the man in the moon is looking at you turn around and that’s north
D. This is not true, you can’t use the moon to find any direction, it varies too much
4. If you find yourself with an intestinal parasite problem you may do all of the following to remedy your situation except one. Which one should you NOT do?
A. Add a tablespoon of salt to 1 liter of water
B. Eat 1 to 1.5 cigarettes
C. Drink 2 tablespoons of kerosene
D. Eat hot peppers
E. Eat ½ tablespoon topsoil
5. If you are in a survival situation and have a serious laceration, the best thing to do after cleaning would be:
A. Suture the wound
B. Use a tourniquet
C. Leave the wound open
6. In a survival situation you may be forced to do things that are dangerous to your health, yet help you to survive. If you are extremely dehydrated you CAN:
A. Drink the blood of a dead animal
B. Drink your own urine
C. Drink Sea Water
D. Drink an alcoholic beverage
E. None of the above
7. You can eat worms raw after dropping them in water for a few minutes.
8. You may eat any plant after boiling it for 30 minutes.
9. You can boil water in a plastic bag or container.
10. Smoke from your fire can be a weather predictor.
11. To treat sea sickness:
A. Look at the horizon and close your eyes
B. Drink water
C. Rock back and forth in order to counter act the rocking motion of the vessel
D. Sing a song
12. All North American reptiles are edible.
13. All birds are edible.
14. To treat diarrhea:
A. Make a solution of handful of charcoal and treated water
B. Drink lots of water
C. Apply a cold compress to the lower abdomen
D. Eat dry foods such as crackers or bread
15. If you have a firearm you can use it signal distress. Choose the correct sequence for signaling.
A. 1 shot wait 2 seconds then 2 more shots consecutively
B. 3 shots with 2 second intervals
C. 10 shots with 1 second intervals
D. 2 shots fired simultaneously
16. The dandelion grows in Arctic regions.
17. Wool clothing or blankets will keep you warm and safe even when wet.
18. The square knot is used to join 2 pieces of equal diameter rope together.
19. 38 rounds for a handgun also work in:
A. 357 magnum
C. 45 ACP
D. 12 Gauge shotgun
20. It’s cold and you have no fire. In order to keep warm you would?
A. Remain motionless to conserve energy
B. Exercise vigorously
C. Cover you head
Click Read More to see the answers
Read the rest of this entry »